Sunday, April 19, 2009

In Response to the Prayer....The Lord of My Dreams at the Root of a Selfish Prayer

This morning in our Bible Class...Sunday School Class, we spoke about the passages in Exodus that speak about knowing God. I said in my thoughts out loud in the same class that I now find myself praying "How do you want me to know You in this.....___________" fill in the blank.
Because I have seen in my on life that God is not as concerned with my finances, health, or happiness but more about how I know Him in all of these challenges and blessings. I am hard headed I learn more in a challenge so my prayer has been "How may I know you....where are you at....what do you want me to get from this?" and less "please take it away, heal them now, pay this bill." These prayers are not unselfish, I have come to see that God usually does the latter in some way or another, but that just asking for Him to show me His heart in these matters is much more comforting. I am selfish and I want to be comfortable, I like to know that God is near, since I have seen that trouble isn't going to go away and health is always a challenge....I just want Him near. That is not humble that is selfish.
I cry through these prayers, but I have learned that through these things are the most blessing...so really it is selfish of me...very selfish, because at the bottom of it all is I don't want to miss a blessing and when I learn through these painful things, I am then blessed to see God's hand and well, just WOW. It is all about Him, because I am more selfish than anyone, wanting it all for myself to be good and pleasant, I have only been able to see those things through the pain...and when I taste the pleasantness....it is sweet like honey and I long for more so I pray "Lord, put the things in my life which will draw me closer to you and take the things from my life which separate me from you."( This is a quoted prayer of a friend J.P.) one more time through tears....just to be near Him again....selfish I just want His hand for myself.
I am not humble, I ask God for an email or a fax or a finger of fire," just show me what I need to get from this ___________(fill in the blank), so I can be near to You." I am dependent and needy and so much so that only God, Jehovah, Lord Almighty can meet my needs.
Not praying for health, not praying for wealth isn't humble, it is the root of all selfishness....it is give me more of YOU....and I this other stuff won't be so big. We don't mind so much going through nearly anything if it is with the significant other of our dreams....That is what He is to me. I just want to be near to Him.

3 comments:

J-Mom said...

Enjoyed this post. I keep cycling it around in my head. You wanting Him closer as selfish, but that's what He wants too...He wants us to be able to have Him close and be willing to do God's will, which does make things easier in our trials and tribulations when He is close. Having Him close makes it easier/better so you/we feel selfish wanting Him close. I hadn't thought of it that way ever and I am still trying to wrap my head around it all. I'm not sure I grasped all what you were trying to say, but I really enjoyed it and it's got me thinking. Thanks girl! I LOVE YOU!

Always Been Different said...

you always know just how/what to say to make me start thinking... I want to be near Him also

Love and miss you bunches!!!

Sande said...

Just to know Him .. not know about Him, but to really know Him is the flavor of my season too