Thursday, May 1, 2008

More than I knew that I knew

"Mommy, I knew more than I thought I would know when they were asking me how much I knew," that is the profound statement of the day, from one of my sweet children, after they were picked up from achievement tests. I don't know how this will all turn out, I am always surprised by test scores and what my kids know and where there challenges lie. Sometimes I am right on the money, but sometimes I am pleasantly surprised and they know more than I thought they would know when someone ask them what that know.......you get the idea. The important thing is this, they are confident and happy, they know more than they knew last year (in most cases), and are becoming their on personal best. As a rule we don't share with the children any of these scores, we have found that it will either give a false since of pride or a false since of insecurity or 'feeling dumb', so we only let them know where they did great or where they may need some improvement. Maybe other families have children whose character as been built up as such that they don't have issues that we have encountered, but alas this is how we do it in our home. Today, it was worth it, all this testing that I hate doing because as she so aptly put it upon entering our home, she knew more than she thought she would know when they asked her how much she knew....and that made her happy.
This is the way will measure success today.
Don't let the numbers get the best of you. Just know what you need to know, learn what the Lord wants you to learn when you realize you don't know it. Enjoy life.

No comments: