Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Education in our home Part Two, Classical Converastions, Memory Work, Grammar Stage,God's Hand in Your HomeSchool, Classical Education

Taking a deep breath and believing that home educators need to hear about this I have decided to share to the best of my ability what we will be starting on Monday, but what I have prepared for since late April, Classical Conversations.

Classical Conversations was introduced to me just over one year ago and I let it pass, it seemed out of reach for our family, something that I could not grasp or help our children accomplish...I was afraid of failure. I wish I had held on with both hands and taken this ride sooner.

Classical Conversations is an extension of the Classical Education that I have tried to implement in our home for over 10 years. With Classical Conversations I have the accountability and the resources to complement what we already study.

The particulars of our coming year are Classical Conversations Cycle Three are from God's hand to our family. God is so good, let me say it again GOD is so GOOD, all the time. As I began to evaluate the coming school year this last April, I knew that we would cover American History from Pre-K to Highschool Freshman. I knew that we would need to discipline ourselves to the memory work of Highschool History. God continually brought the Veritas Press materials before me and I even owned many of them. I became painfully aware that we need to improve on our English Grammar, Math Facts and Geography. I was only having minimal success in these areas. Our oldest daughter desired more challenging work and some more accountability to others. I prayed and woke in the middle of the night remembering an old conversation with Leah an acquaintance, now called friend. I prayed for confirmation, received it and in a glimpse had signed on not only for going to CC, but tutoring.....Classical Conversations Cycle 3, American History being the History offered in the cycle. God is Good.

Classical Conversations give the children and the parents the tools for memory work in English Grammar, Latin, Bible, History Sentences, Timeline Cards (Veritas Press), Art/Music,Math facts and definitions, and Geography. The Classical Conversations Guide adds to what a family is already doing, it is the punch to the Grammar Stage of learning (see link below to find out about that- http://www.blogger.com/post-edit.g?blogID=4964032397330282695&postID=9075835595637526092 ).

Our home education needs just that punch. I have prayed everyday for encouragement in this walk I started and to continue gaining strength where God needs me to serve in the program. God has given strength. I have been led to multiple blogs, while not all dedicated to Classical Conversations recently mentioning them.

God wants our home education journeys to succeed. Ask what you need, He will show you. Tell God where you struggle, His hand will become evident. God just like that.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

This sounds very intriguing. The classical model interests me, but I want lots of literature and natural learning too. BUT we never seem to fit in some of the things like art and music that I deem so INTERGRAL... being an artsy person myself.

regarding the parenting... oy. I know many have been through the Pearl stuff and... now are not. nuff said.

But I see you read their blogs... holy experience, adventures in mercy to name a couple... God's grace is so much bigger than our failures... Its so hard to change an old way of thinking.

I really must take that sentence and meditate on it myself... God's grace is BIGGER than my failure.

himhimthem said...

We do TONS of literature and natural learning....that is why I am absolutely delighted with Classical Conversations, it plugs in a missing link for our family AND the added benefit of accountability. I am by action more Mason style teaching, but longing to have Classical influence to help shape. This has been an answer to prayer.

himhimthem said...

It is week 3 and we have had a great time here in the memphis community...with CC. I can't speak for the entire group, but for myself, and those I have spoken to, God is all over this. He is so good and so gracious to give me peace from Monday to Monday to share the little I know and love on these kids with the tools that my leadership at Memphis Classical Conversations have given me...I will keep on keeping on in Him of my Himhimthem.