Friday, August 29, 2008

Marissa in Rawanda, Mission Trips with History Lessons

I just checked out the blog of a sweet, sweet young lady who served as a Youth Intern at our church. She is now serving the Lord in a faraway land. As I read what she had to read I sat stunned at what a difference one of us can make, if we know. Sometimes knowing the injustice or the pain, or the___________fill in the blank is all it takes to get us on our feet.
As I read about the injustices and the death, I wonder what can I do from here. I have some ideas, but it is limited:
Buy things from the communities in pain (ideas on http://www.marissainrwanda.blogspot.com/ )

Teach our children...I was told just yesterday that we can not be innocent and wise, I am moving that around my spirit, but I do believe it to be true, mostly. Teach them them about the pain and loss in communities near you, encourage them to read excellent literature and works by those who have suffered in our nation and those abroad, read biographies and autobiographies about others. Tell them about tough history, painful history, even if it is personal....Holocaust, Rwanda, Darfur, Civil Rights in the US, Apparteit, sadly we have many choices.

Choose to serve outside of our homes, with a plan, put on the calender regularly.

Go places that you think might not be safe and hug a kid or take someone to dinner.

I am sad today, about things happening in the world that I don't know how to help.
Being sad is ok.
Maybe being sad is best and if not we should wonder why.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

"can't be innocent and wise"

WOW - that is something to think over. And I have to agree. I think that is partly why I don't like the 'protect your children' mentality... in that it protects them from what life is like outside of our American middle class bubble.

himhimthem said...

In our little space, our family isn't considered middle class, with 6 kids on our income...with a smaller home by American Standards and a big family and a grandmother living with us...BUT we are wealthy, wealthy materially to the majority of the world. People have admired us for the 'lifestyle' we have and I see more everyday how much we have and how used to our comfort, beyond comfort we are.