Sunday, June 15, 2008

Inspired and Tired

I am both tired and inspired. Here in the great city of Memphis, I just witnessed a miracle. Just over 300 teen age kids, paid money to come and work in over 90 degree heat, painting homes of low income families in a neighborhood who wants hope. I watched, my almost 15 year old son, rise early every morning, go and sweat. In our case, Zachary, raised money for Memphis Work camp, while raising money for a second mission trip to Atlanta. During Workcamp week, in our home, I would leave early to drop of Zach, return home and love on a few sick kids, leave to pick up Zachary, return back home, give Sarah a pep talk, return back to the church, prepare drinks and set up food for all of the kids and leaders, and finally serve food and clean up afterwards. I was blessed, I had more "thank you Mrs. Suzanne's" and "oh, that's just Zach's mom" than I can count. During the week my sweet Donnie was out of town working, one night I melted down, late after returning home a sweet lady married to one of our leaders, talked me down. We are the church, we are people, without a permanent location, we are tired and often underfunded, God is in us. Next week, my littles will attend VBS at another church (the church who loaned us a building this week for Workcamp), the week after that my 4 oldest will go to camp two hours away.....the summer is busy, and I am tired. God is moving in our family, in our church. For the record I have always hated summers in Memphis, staying here as an adult in the early adult years was tedious and upsetting to me. For most of my life I spent summers in the home of my Grandparent's a safe haven for the weary, just outside of Chicago. When I was all grown up facing Memphis summers meant dealing with some pain as well. I praise God today that I am not just tired of the Memphis heat and Memphis memories, I am inspired by what God can do with a willing, often exhausted momma of six. Thank you Lord, thank you for letting me pour your drinks, serve your food, love your children. Thank you.
For more information about Memphis Workcamp follow the link below. I promise I will have personal pictures soon.
http://www.memphisworkcamp.com/?view=home

1 comment:

J-Mom said...

That's awesome. Very inspiring.