Monday, June 16, 2008

MUM is the Word

MUM, Memphis Urban Missions, is the word this week in our family.
http://www.memphisurbanministry.com/summerdaycamp.html
Today, I had the awesome opportunity to drive a van full of 4-6 graders down town to the Downtown Church and help out at the Summer Day Camp. Our children, cozied up next to the Downtown Church kids, we played 'duck, duck, goose', sang songs, learned songs and learned about the Armor Of God, after that we did word puzzles. I was move to tears as I sat and was taught how to teach, again today, with a simple, sweet little boy, who needed help reading, and a hug. In the morning my teenagers will leave with our youth group from Highland Street and go down town for what they fondly call 'Power Hour', it is more like 4 hours. They will play games, do skits, serve food and eat lunch with kids with very different lives than them. On the way back to the meet up spot with a van full of kids, I was reminded by the Lord that the only difference between those children and our on is opportunity.....for education, safety, hope....JESUS. I have the awesome responsibility every day to teach my children, I often wonder, especially about my special needs kiddos, what would have happened if they fell through the cracks, how their lives would be different. Know more children through the cracks. That is a high hope, some may say an unattainable goal. It is the goal for every kid in my life. I want to fill their cracks. I want my on children to fill cracks with the solid mortar of the truth of Jesus Christ every day, in every life they come into contact with. God has been good to us, let's all be good back. Let us remember it isn't what we think it is the opportunities we have been offered....go offer some.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love to read your blog! You really inspire me. I feel so connected although our situations are so different. I hope to talk soon
Ester