Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Hot Memphis Summers

Summer time Daddy 4 years ago



Baby DJ 2 years ago....
The little girls 3 years ago Martha and Maci picking at eachother and Maggie just watching the show (that hasn't changed)


Zachy and Andrew (friend) last year at camp, lip sync night

This summer with friends..... Sarah (12) and friend Morgan...



DJ faking out a summer time nap...and quick picture by big sister , bubble should say..."can I get popcicles for a nap?"





Summer love with Great Grandma 2005





Maggie Summer 2005- almost 5 yrs old




Summer 2005 Maci 7, DJ barely 1, Martha 7

Sweet Summer Time, that is where we are at. Laying in the pool, eating too much ice cream and the smell of bug spray mixed with sun screen, yummy.
I hated summers in Memphis, some of you may know that about me, until the recent years. Primarily, my summers were spent through out my life in Chicago with family and then I spent the school year in Memphis. The summers I did spend in Memphis didn't hold a yummy feeling, so when I started raising my kids I wondered how I would change that. I still spend a lot of time in the Chicago area most summers, but more recently I have done a few things to build great memories with my kids. Night time swims for the teenagers and pre-teens, late overnights, loud country music and request for a song on the radio, cooking out and homemade pasta salad bring me comfort now. Watching each one of my babies learn to swim, a tiny white butt slipping into bed after a long day in the sun, snuggling late with my babues and sleeping in make me happy. Getting a tan (after a long time without one because for many years I had all babies), taking long trips to Panama City Beach, Florida at least twice a year, sitting on the porch with my sweet Donnie and watching the kids catch lightning bugs, these are the moments that make me smile. The smell of a little boy who is more like a wet puppy and girls trying out a talent show in the front yard make me who I am these days. Who I am is mostly at peace. I learned peace in the summer 4 years ago when my world crashed. I had to make a decision, to ruin memories for my kids with my pain and current struggles or take a deep breath, pray, and play, I opted for the latter. It changed me. This summer I am in a place again where I wonder often how am I going to make it through change and dealing with some old hurts, but because I have these memories I breathe easier through each moment. I have traded some of my favorite music for my kid's stations, I have had to stay up late with the kids for midnight feedings again, only now it is pizza not nursing. I pray for them constantly not just for their health but their safety. Life has changed so much, but come back around in so many ways. Summer is a safe time, even a fun time for me now, making memories that are new, but so much like the ones I shared 20 years ago in Lombard, right here in Memphis.
Thanks kids. I can honor my past, and enjoy today.
Go thank your kids for the hope they bring today, and make a memory that is out of character.

1 comment:

J-Mom said...

Your photos are just too adorable. You've got a bunch of good looking kids!!!

Glad you have been enjoying the summer. I have been enjoying the mildness of this summer so far!