Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Out In The Cold

Late yesterday afternoon, my momma, AKA Marner, was loading my two littles into the car for some special time at her house. The wind was whipping, the trees were scary (we have a long history of tree damage), and the lights went out. I ran the kids in the house explained to them we only had a bit of daylight, to straighten floors and flat surfaces, get the dishes done.....I would not be in the cold dark with a mess. My kids rose to the occasion it was almost a challenge. Daddy arrived with candles and a lighter.....after a few heated rounds of Bannanagrams we were off to the neighborhood Chinese buffet and to pick up the two little ones. For just a moment I thought we should stay the night at my mothers apartment, after all it is cold and our house wasn't getting heat at the moment. I decided against it, I love my mother, we don't share small spaces well and the children were already edging on my sensibilities.....off we trekked to our cold dark home. Friends, I witnessed cooperation, yes you heard me right cooperation among my 6 children. We donned candles and a flashlight, gathered blankets and pillows and set everyone up in the living room. There were great plans of reading their books, but alas, there was chatting and yes fussing and giggling for the next hour. Shortly after 9 Donnie announce "lights out", which takes on a whole new meaning when there is no electricity. We confiscated the flashlight, blew out the candles and we all slept.....well. Did I say well. We slept well, no bed time fight, no trips to the bathroom, no starving to death right now I am going to die, no yelling "please, just stay in bed" every one went to sleep. I have a plan.....Operation Lights Out.....I thought we would hit the breaker every night for a few nights, but Donnie says that waits till March it is too dern cold, but tonight after church we will have quiet.....lights out, tvs off, radios off, books away,washer off....we will sleep. Am I up to the challenge? How will it go with the ability to turn it on.....I don't know but we shall see. No one hold there breath, but I am excited.
Tell me some of your ideas for sleep and quiet....please.

Gosh, I love sleep and quiet.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

We love it when the power goes out....well at least for a little while! LOL It does seem to bring a sense of closeness in the family.

I am thinking I like the idea of switching the breakers off to get that feeling again :)