Monday, April 14, 2008

Am I The Only One?

I am the only one that does this....my kids have it really bad. Those are the words we say to ourselves so often. I sat with a group of women I love and have come to call family the last two years, moms, like me of big families. One private school family of high income, one homeschool family of average income, one family with most of their children out of or on their way away from home and college, and me, the one who never fits in a box. These ladies and I were all lamenting about running out of nice, yelling at the kids when a dessert falls apart on the way out the door, why are the shoes in the floor and am I the only one who raises my voice (as my 4 year old just spilled my coffee and I yelled at the girls that they aren't moving fast enough as I bellow "tooooweeellllllll"), puts their children down in a huff for bed or lays awake thinking there must be a better way. I know that sometimes I believe my children will feel or be something, because I did, but we DO NOT have the same story, so they do not filter these experiences the same way. I don't think I am the only one and I want to say that I know we (the moms) are not right, or fair, we don't have good reasons, but we aren't alone and our kids aren't going to be marred forever. Last night as I asked my kids to recall some things about what I thought was the worst time of our lives, they only vaguely remembered sketchy details. Wow, I didn't leave them undone for life. They do remember clearly the pain of loosing their grandparents and the grief during those times, but not the things I blamed on myself. My children instead recall me hugging on them through the long season of momma sleeping too much. My children remember me doing spelling practice during the few weeks they were in a neighborhood school that broke my heart. My children remember that things 'seemed sad', but that it all worked out and we are good today, so it must not have been so bad.
Today, I am grateful that Joel 2:25 says " I will repay you for the years the locusts have eaten, the great locusts, and the young locusts, and the other locusts and the locust that swarm.” then He says I will repay for years the locust have eaten. " Praise be to God. This is happening in our life and I want to honor it, acknowledge it. The enemy has stolen so much from me, from conception all most, I came into this game with a loss, but God is gracious and prayer has prevailed and I can't even list all the ways He has kept his promises that I found during the long nights of mourning and pain of loss untold and unexplainable, but today there is years being repaid. My mother and I have been traveling a road of reconciliation, my husband and are happy, happy, joyful, at peace, my pain and hurt are honored but not controlling in my life and my children will be just fine. Thank you Lord.
This is where I am today, it could change, but my hope will be renewed again and again.
Go thank God for where you are today, no matter where that place is, even if it is the pits.

No comments: